How do we rejuvenate an empty lot?
Scattered across twelve blocks along Herkimer Street in the Bedford Stuyvesant neighborhood of Brooklyn are thirteen abandoned lots owned by New York City. The project proposes seven new buildings with 78 affordable apartments for an unusual target audience – homeowners. The design pursued the following agenda through a complex regulatory review:
- how can new buildings complement the existing neighborhood
- how to connect garden spaces and encourage community bonds
- how to provide graceful entrances to new homes
- how to promote healthy and energy efficient lifestyle
- services: design / public review / construction administration